South Africans are hoping for an end to the violence, looting and intimidation that has rocked the country after President Cyril Ramaphosa said last night he would mobilise all available resources and capabilities to restore order in the country, though the EFF intends to challenge the decision to deploy the SANDF.

The National Prosecuting Authority is coordinating closely with relevant government departments to ensure full and transparent accountability for anyone accused of committing or inciting crimes linked to these violent protests and looting, it said in a statement last night.

The Deputy National Director of Public Prosecutions: Head of the National Prosecutions Service has advised Directors of Public Prosecutions in affected Divisions to prioritise these matters, and to refer the cases to prosecutors with the requisite experience, who must work with and guide police in their investigations. Should any special arrangements need to be made with regard to courts, this will be discussed with the relevant stakeholders.

Online delivery service, OneCart announced that it was closing early today for the safety of our Shoppers and Drivers.

In a statement it said: “All orders not delivered today, will be rescheduled as soon as our staff are back at work. Apologies for the inconvenience and please stay safe. Should you require any further information, please email us at orders@onecart.co.za or call on 010 476 1400 and one of our customer service agents will be more than happy to help”.

The administration of potentially lifesaving Covid-19 vaccine jabs has been disrupted in Gauteng, amid rampant looting and violence in the province.

The Gcaba Brothers, who run minibus taxis in KZN and Gauteng, have denied that they were responsible for the violent scenes playing out in the streets of KZN and Gauteng.

In a statement shared by Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula, the brothers said although they were in support of former president Jacob Zuma as a family relative, they did not wish to blur the lines.

They said the business had also been affected by the events taking place.

All police officers who are currently on leave will report back to work amid the widespread violent protest and unrest.

This comes after the Safety and Security Sectoral Bargaining Council (SSSBC) held an urgent meeting on Monday to discuss the emerging issues connected to the ongoing riots and looting across KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to address the nation on Monday, as violence and looting continue to spread across KZN and Gauteng, amid calls for the release of former president Jacob Zuma.

In a statement, the Presidency confirmed the SANDF had been deployed to assist the police in terms of Section 201(2)(a) of the Constitution.

Said the Presidency: “The President is on record as calling for calm and warning criminal elements that they will face the full might of law as lawlessness is brought to an end and economic activity is allowed to continue.

“The majority of South Africans do not and should not tolerate violence, the destruction of property and the endangering of livelihoods.

“People are urged to report criminals by sharing videos of criminal activity with the police.

“People are also asked to pay attention to what they post on social media and to be aware that the sharing of fake news or content that incites violence and looting is a crime.

“It is also a crime to possess, receive and use stolen goods, or to interfere with the police in their execution of their duties”.

Several shopping centres and malls in Gauteng were closed, while others experienced looting and violence on Monday. The Rea Vaya and Metrobus services were also suspended.

Maponya Mall and Jabulani Mall were looted today, and the Dobsonville Centre yesterday. All these centres are not far from police stations.

The Gauteng Provincial Legislature’s Portfolio Committee on Community Safety has called on Gauteng Law Enforcement Agencies to put stringent measures in place to deal with ongoing protest actions that are taking place in various areas across the province.

’’The Portfolio Committee is concerned that these sporadic protest actions which have been characterised by looting and vandalism are taking place at a time when the country is on adjusted alert level 4 as a means to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

’’What is of more concern is the blind involvement of young people in these illegal protest actions who we should be looking at as future leaders of this country…

’’We have noted that in some areas these protests and unrest have been accompanied by provocation and intimidation of innocent people who have nothing to do with whatever conditions that have given rise to these unlawful protest actions. In some instances some people who are involved in this unrest have fired live ammunition and injuring police officers.’’

EFF leader Julius Malema has responded to the deployment of soldiers from the SANDF to Gauteng and KZN, threatening to join the riots if the soldiers were deployed. He has called for a political solution.

Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (Popcru) said in a statement they have agreed to recall all officers on leave or deployed elsewhere to curb the violence and looting centred in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal. ’’We call on all our members to heed this call to defend our country from all these violent protests and urge all to be vigilant and exercise extreme caution in discharging their duties,’’ Popcru said.

Anticipating that the SANDF would be deployed, EFF leader Julius Malema said at the weekend: ’’You can’t start with SA Police Service or SANDF as the first call. The question should be, where are the leaders to speak to their people? Are they scared of their people? And if the answer is yes, the next question should be: why are (they) leaders in the first place?”

The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) says that it has commenced with pre-deployment processes and procedures in line with a request for assistance received from the National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (NATJOINTS) “to assist law enforcement agencies deployed in Gauteng and KwaZulu Natal Provinces respectively to quell the unrest that has gripped both Provinces in the last few days. The deployment will commence as soon as all deployment processes”.

“The duration and number of deploying soldiers will be determined based on the assessment of the situation on the ground by the relevant law enforcement agencies. Furthermore, it must be emphasised that the SANDF`s deployment objective is to provide safety and a safe working environment for members of the SAPS and other law enforcement agencies whilst they carry out their Constitutionally mandated law and order duties. SANDF deployment-related information updates will follow in due course”.

CONFIRMED: The South African National Defence Force is being deployed to volatile areas to deal with the unrest currently being experienced in parts of the country.

SANDF spokesperson Brigadier-General Mafi Mgobhozi said on Monday: ’’We received a request that we must deploy the SANDF to areas where there is unrest. As soon as the process has been completed, we will be able to deploy.’’

Editor@tech-talk.co.za

Total page views: 104 Viewers today: 0 Total site views: 532222
0
0
error: Content is protected